Thursday, August 30, 2012

"Vu Lan" Festival in memories

Every year, when Vu Lan festival coming, I am almost moved to tears by my parents image, my country. Despite being far away from home but I am always towards my family. 

I remember during Vu Lan festival (the seventh month of the lunar calendar), my mother did offerings for ancestors. There was many times i wondered what the meaning of this festival is, my mother told me that this ceremony was original from long time ago, to feed the hungry ghosts, to pray for their salvation and also a way for people to meet their compassionate filial duty.

According to the traditions, Vietnamese families put out offerings and burn incense for the dead. When the incense burns out (and the spirits have “feasted” on the offerings) children are allowed to eat the fruit and other food on the altars.

As I was small, I just thought simply that a ceremony for ancestor, but now when I grow up, I realized how meaningful it is to express their gratefulness and appreciation towards mothers. I looked at the people flocking to pagodas, some wearing red roses( because their parents are alive), some white roses (because their parents have passed away). At that time, I missed my mother so much. Whatever  I do, she supports me and gives advice, whenever i am weak, she is always by my side, to care, to encourage me. I know that wherever I am, she will pray for me with best wishes. Nothing can compare with all love of my mother.

We can never reciprocate our parents favour but always remembering and having a good life will be gratefulness, happiness to our parents. 


Vu lan Festival

The good deeds of Father are as great as Mount Thai Son
The virtue of Mother is as bountiful as spring water gushing from its source.

I cant forget Vietnamese vegetarian dishes that my mother used to do in this day with my help



 
Vietnamese Vegetarian Salad (Goi chay)
(by thekitchn)

Ingredients: Serves 6
1 pound extra firm tofu
Vegetable oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/8 cup soy sauce
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 serrano or Thai bird pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
1 head green cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, peeled and shredded
Large handful of herbs (basil, mint, rau răm if available), coarsely chopped or torn
Rice noodles (optional)
1/2 cup peanuts, crushed

Direction:
Cut tofu into bite-size pieces and press between clean kitchen towels or paper towels to rid excess water. Heat oil in a skillet and fry tofu until golden brown. Drain excess oil.
In a large bowl, combine lemon juice, soy sauce, garlic, and chili pepper. Add cabbage, carrots, herbs, and tofu to the bowl and toss to combine. Let sit for at least 15 minutes or refrigerate for up to a day before serving.
Serve the salad by itself or over cooked rice noodles and sprinkle with peanuts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Indochinacharmtravel | Vietnam tour operator Vietnam charm travel - Premium Blogger Themes | Justin Bieber, Gold Price in India